This light and tasty vegan salad is filling, nutritious and quick and easy to make. The best part is that it is easy to modify to suit your tastes.
Veganism has come a long way. There are no over 3 million vegans in the UK alone. With the rise of veganism, a whole host of vegan alternatives have come onto the market.
When Michelle of Daisybutter tweeted about how great Tesco's vegan halloumi is, I knew I had to develop a recipe for a tasty vegan salad that is suitable to eat all year long. Salads aren't just for summer you know! This one is perfect, enjoy it for a quick lunch or use it as a side for a bigger evening meal. This would go perfect with my eggplant steaks.
The best vegan salad
For the salad:
- 2 large handfuls of arugula (rocket)
- 5 large radishes, sliced
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1 block of vegan halloumi, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 lemons, halved
Step 1 : Prepare the halloumi
- Heat up a griddle pan on a high heat.
- Without oil, fry each side of the halloumi until golden in colour.
- Remove from the pan, let cool and cut into cubes.
Step 2: Prepare the salad components
- In a large bowl add your veggies - radishes, chickpeas, red onions, avocado and arugula. But feel free to add other veggies too. Cubed tomatoes and cucumber make good additions but you add whichever salad ingredients you like the most.
- To your salad bowl add the cubed halloumi.
Step 3: Add the dressing
- Squeeze the juice from your lemon halves onto the salad.
- Drizzle over the olive oil.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Use a large serving spoon or freshly washed hands to ensure all the components of your salad are coated in your dressing.
Serve and enjoy!