This quick and easy vegan biryani is a cinch to make! A delicious and aromatic Indian rice dish. I've used jackfruit to add a bit of texture to the dish. This is a quick dish and is the perfect evening meal.
This biryani dish uses a base of rice, tomatoes and jackfruit to create a dish full of flavour, with a spicy kick. This dish is a definite crowd pleaser and should appeal to meat eaters as well as vegans making it the perfect dish for entertaining.
I've used Shan's biryani mix to make it easy, You could make your own spice mix but honestly the store bought mix is just as good and makes there dish much easier to make. I'd usually suggest making everything from scratch but this dish is the exception. I use Shan but there are plenty of other brands that you can use. Just take a look in your local Asian supermarket.
- Basmati rice
- Fresh tomatoes
- Plant milk
- Biryani spice mix
How to make vegan biryani
Add a couple of tablespoons to a large pan and soften your onions on a medium heat.
Add the jackfruit to the pan. Stir fry with the onions.
Add the spice mix, water and plant milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes to the pan, stir to combine and simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
Add the cooked rice and the mint and coriander to the pan and again stir until sauce coats the rice.
I hope you'll enjoy this dish for vegan biryani and don't forget to rate it if you try it!Print
Vegan Biryani with Jackfruit
This quick and easy vegan biryani is a cinch to make! A delicious and aromatic Indian rice dish. I've used jackfruit to add a bit of texture to the dish. This is a fast dish and is the perfect evening meal.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 36 minutes
- Yield: 0 Serves 4 1x
- Category: Asian Recipes
- Cuisine: Asian
- 2 large onions (finely sliced)
- 3 to matoes (chopped)
- 1 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp mint (finely chopped)
- 1 10 oz can of young green jackfruit in water
- 1.5 cups of the plant milk of your choice
- 3 cups of water
- 3 cups of basmati rice (cooked)
- Shan basmati spice mix
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Add the oil to a large pan oin a medium heat.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry until onions are soft.
- To the pan, add the jackfruit and use your spatula to seperate the pieces.
- Stir fry the onions and jackfruit together for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the spice mix, milk and water to the pan.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for a further 3-4 minutes.
- Add the rice, mint and coriander to the pan and stir to combine. Ensure all the rice is covered with the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!